Wednesday, October 1, 2014

De La Tumba....Libertad (The Hymn of Uruguay)!

Date: Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Dear Familia,

It has been an interesting week! Yesterday, the 25 of August is their Independence Day here in Uruguay...and it happened to coincide with P Day. So we did what all good Uruguayans do...we had a bbq. The best part was that I am definitely getting more adventurous...I managed to eat lots of new parts of the cow. The kidney was actually pretty good, but the intestines were just a little too strange in their texture...
We were in charge of bringing the salad, unfortunately we got a little confused. The moral of the story is that if you want a certain type of salad, you really need to specify, and not make jokes with non native
spanish speakers (I don´t really get sarcasm sometimes in Spanish:D)!  We ended up bringing fruit salad, when they actually wanted potato salad. Oh well, at least it was delicious! The only down side of this
day was that there wasn´t a single business open and so we actually couldn´t write you guys yesterday. So that is the story as to how I ended up writing a day late! The best part was that everyone really
wants to get to know Caroline now, because she was born on the most important day in Uruguay! Happy Birthday Caroline and congrats on your acceptance letter to Hogwarts, I always knew you were a real wizard!

I gave a talk in Stake Conference this week...This is actually the second time that I have done this, while here in Uruguay. The strangest part is that it was actually the same topic both times, in two different stakes! I was asked to speak on Working With Members. I was super nervous, but everyone told me it went well! I almost had a heart attack, but I remembered all of my Spanish, I made a couple of errors when I was finishing, but it is a little understandable since Spanish isn´t my native language ;)! I feel so happy to always have the help and support from all of the members! I don´t have any more time, but I will have to recount a funny story about this next week!

On Sunday we got to participate in a special conference that was broadcast from Salt Lake to only Uruguay and Paraguay! I was super interested to get to listen to Mervyn B Arnold and several other speakers and culminated in Elder Bednar. He spoke a lot about repentance and about the Atonement! I was moved by his talk about the need for true repentance. I think sometimes we are a little too casual in our repentance. I was studying a lot this week the Atonement. The thing that struck me most when I finished studying every morning is that I just felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude. I cannot imagine that God would suffer His perfect Son to die to save all of His other imperfect children! I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have that God loved me and loves me enough to be willing to make this great sacrifice! I have never felt the depth of gratitude that I have felt this week, in my short 21 years! I know that my Savior lives and loves me! I encourage everyone to really study the Atonement this week and I guarantee that you will feel very different than you felt last week! I love you all lots and hope you all have a great week!

Love,
Hermana McMurray

No comments:

Post a Comment