Monday, September 30, 2013

Dulce De Leche...the Meaning of Life!

Dear Familia,

Okay, I this upcoming week I hit a gigantic milestone! Take a guess...anyone....anyone... Yep, I officially finish my training! That means after this week, we have changes and my whole life could change.  In one week, I might be in a totally different part of Uruguay and/or with a new companion (it is a little strange that now this is my whole life...)!

Annnyway, now to the exciting chronicles of a sister missionary in Uruguay:

-I decided to make Dulce de Leche this week...Now, for those of you who have never been to Uruguay (Argentina, Brazil...), and have never had the opportunity to taste Dulce de Leche, let me be the first to tell you, that you have never lived! It is rich, sweet, creamy....you just have to try it to understand :)! Hermana Camacho tells me daily I am addicted, just because I prefer Dulce to food...pssshhhh, not true (más or menos). Now back to my story. I had a member give me a recipe to make Dulce, so I figured, why not?! So, last P-day I got all the ingredients and mixed them together, put it on the gas burner, and began to stir...and stir....and stir...1 hour....30 minutes more (the member said it would take a while...)...30 minutes more...At this point, my patience was completely gone, and I was sure that the member just wanted me to stir milk for a couple of hours.  So I decided it was time for a new course of action. Time to bring in the reinforcements...Hermana Camacho! So I yell for my comp and about 30 seconds later, I look up and Hermana Camacho is standing in the door of the kitchen completely soaked from head to toe....Now at this point I had no idea why she was wet...But she just walks silently past me, and tries to light the other burner...only one small problem...she is completely soaked. So I was just laughing and wondering what circumstances led to her being wet, meanwhile she is trying to get me to light the other burner. So I just take the lighter and try and light the burner...not smart... The lighter was all wet and so I may or may not have acquired a rather painful burn (don´t worry I will try and send pictures)!  Anyway to make a long story short...turns out my companion was wrestling our refrigerator in the bathroom (how I was unaware of this, I am still not sure), but don´t worry I made sure to get some pretty sweet pics of this! I also enjoyed delicious homemade Dulce de Leche!

(Edit: I asked how she ended up with cooked dulce de leche, and she said one burner is just much stronger than the other...so once she switched burners, it worked.)

-This past Thursday we had our interviews with President Smith! He has changed everything in the mission (or so my companion has told me...), but I know that he is inspired of the Lord and that his goals and personality are perfect for this mission! The number one goal of our mission is to double Sacrament Meeting attendance in the following 6 months! My companion and I have been working like crazy this week and we had the privilege to see some results. Our base attendance in Sacrament is 60...this week....drumroll please....90! We had four less actives come to church this week!!!!!!! I know that this is an answer to prayers! Hermana Camacho and I still don´t really have any investigators, but we are finding other ways to fortify the church in this area! I am so grateful to all of you for your prayers and fasting, I think that it has really helped me! I feel the the love of the Lord every day and I really feel genuinely happy to have the opportunity to share this gospel with the people of Uruguay!

That is about all for this week! Next week my email will be on Tuesday due to changes!

Love you all lots,
Hermana McMurray

No comments:

Post a Comment