Monday, February 3, 2014

¨Say Hello to My Little Friend¨

Dear Familia,

This week has been wonderful!!!! It rained buckets and so we finally had some cooler temperatures. The predictions for the weather in February are interesting. They are saying that of the 28 days, there will be 20 days of rain! I personally am feeling excited about this...(at least I won´t resemble a tomato anymore)!

This week we had a very special experience with one of the members. We are working with a less active who is trying to stop smoking. We are helping him to complete a program that is provided by the church. One of the steps is that he needs to give us all of his cigarettes,
lighters, and tobacco....the problem was that he staunchly refused the first day. We left him and told him to pray and read the Book of Mormon. The next day when we went to visit him, he ran up to see us.  He told us he had a gift for us....he handed us a bag full of his tobacco, lighter, and cigarette wrappers. He told us that he didn´t want them and he never wanted to smoke again! He is now reading the Book of Mormon and praying every day!!! I love seeing how the gospel really can completely change people. They lose the desire to sin and gain a desire to be obedient to the commandments of the Lord!

Funny stories this week:

-I forgot to mention this week that we have a small problem...a small furry problem. Many people think, ¨my apartment in the mission was horrible, but I am pretty positive that Hermana Ramirez and I win!  This week we discovered that we have an infestation of rats! We find pellets from our little friends all over our apartment! I am afraid that my greatest fear is going to be realized...rats consuming my feet (see Other Side of Heaven)! We have cleaned and cleaned, but they are still running around. The mission is one grand adventure, difficult at
times, but always fun!!!

-We were having a lesson with Yohni (who is going to be baptized the 22nd of this month) and his three children and two grandchildren. We asked one of his grandchildren (Wilian) if he could say the prayer. He promptly responded in the affirmative. He put his face in his hands
and....nothing! We all waited about 15 seconds and finally Yohni said: ¨I think he is embarrassed and doesn´t want to pray¨... at that exact moment Wilian´s head popped up and he said loudly, ¨Amen¨! I guess next time we need to specify that we want him to pray out loud :D!

-In our area we are plagued with 10 to 14 year old boys in the streets. The heckle us and yell all sorts of profanities at us. This week one of them nailed me in the back of the neck with a rock. I was slightly infuriated...Later the next day we had a lesson about how we always need to turn the other cheek...or our necks!

That is all for this week! Love you all lots and don't forget to write me!
Love,
Hermana McMurray

No comments:

Post a Comment