Thursday, July 11, 2013

Caio to the English Language for the next 17 months!

Dear Familia,

It is my last few days in the CCM. I leave for Uruguay at 4 in the morning on Tuesday! I will get to email you guys again on Monday, but after that I have no idea when I will get to talk to you again! The six weeks in the CCM have just flown by, I am going to miss all of the visits to the temple, and the many missionaries, and the English language, but I am ready to go out and share the gospel with those who need to hear it.
We will start out with the funny stories of the Alma District:
First, there was a panic attack going on in the CCM this last week. President Openshaw read an email and found out that we were getting an extra 25 North Americans. It was total chaos. They had to create 9 districts (when they are only set up to handle 8), change all of the room schedules, shift the bedroom assignments... you get the picture. So of course as the only district left, they moved us downstairs into one of the sacrament rooms. Then they decided they didn´t have enough desks, so they took our desks...But we had to have something to write on, so they gave us four tables...Until they decided they needed the tables...So they took two of the tables back...So the ten of us, dutifully sat at two tiny tables for a day...Before they realized they had misread the email and there weren't a bunch of unplanned North Americans coming..So they had us move all of our stuff back up to our original classroom! Life is never boring at the CCM!!!
The second funny story was when we were playing football during actividad fĂ­sica as a district. We were just playing a friendly game, when one of the guys lobbed the football and it landed in a tree. I wish I could say that it was a nice little tree, but of course I think it is probably the tallest tree within a mile radius. So our District Leader shimmies up the tree and tries to shake it out. Unfortunately it was wedged...in the top branches. So we regrouped and came up with a new strategy, or rather the three 18 year old boys in our District came up with a "brilliant" plan. They ask Hermana Page for her shoes and began to throw them at the football...it took a good three tries before someone successfully got her shoe stuck in the tree next to the football! Don't worry, I hear tennis shoes aren't too expensive in Uruguay..Just Kidding! They ending up getting a soccer ball and knocking both out of the tree about ten minutes later (it might have helped that Hermana Page offered an Alfajor for whoever got her shoe down).
Now to slightly more spiritual things:
This week my companion Hermana Dean and I had the most amazing CRE experience. What is CRE? It is when we teach an investigator that we have one time. We have a small bio and we have about 15 minutes to prepare a lesson. This week we taught and I cannot explain exactly what happened, but it was amazing. We went in and we taught, but it was not the lesson that we had prepared to teach. Our investigator was a less active member who had not been to church in two years. We taught him and he agreed to come back to church and he was definintely a little teary eyed. We got out of the lesson, and we just looked at each other. We had both felt the Holy Ghost so strong and we both had taught based totally off of those promptings. It was an amazing experience and it just testifies to me once again, that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church on the earth. The Lord directs and guides His church. I am doing His work and I can feel the Spirit as I teach about the church.

I love all of you guys and I miss you all!
Soon to be in Uruguay,
Hermana McMurray

No comments:

Post a Comment